Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why "For the Children's Sake?"

More than a decade ago, when I was looking for a kindergarten for my firstborn son, a woman gave a book to me by the title, "For the Children's Sake", written by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay, Francis Schaeffer's daughter.  As I read it, I was hit with those "aha" moments where truths that were "under the surface" of my conscientiousness suddenly had words attached to them and took on life.  


My parenting at that time (full of stickers and treat jars to manipulate my toddlers to compliant behavior) was miles from the gentle, Christlike ways described in this book.  I could sense that this was so much more full of light and joy and beauty than my sharp lines bounded by law.  


"If Christianity is indeed true, then every last little child matters...Let us really and truly be courageous...One day we will stand before the Creator.  Were we willing to give, serve and sacrifice 'for the children's sake?'"  


The phrase didn't originate with Macaulay, but was the motto of a teaching college in Ambleside, England in the late 1800's.  Here, six volumes were written on learning, and leading children to love to learn.   


Parenting.  Educating.  For the children's sake. In as much, as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment