Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Do the Next Thing"

As a young mom, I was often overwhelmed by the too many tasks to be done and the constant parade of needs, and I would struggle to have an attitude fit for the requirement.  If I looked at the entirety of demands, I would be tempted to feel sorry for myself.  I was often freed from the cords of discouragement by recalling and acting according to this simple phrase, which brought clarity and calm to my day: "Do the Next Thing."  

I first came across the line in an anonymous poem quoted by Elisabeth Elliot.  She had been left with her infant daughter in a remote jungle missionary station after her husband was killed.  Life was uncertain, overwhelming, and this thought was a great help to her...


Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing.



This morning I came across the idea again in the book Ourselves, p. 171: "It is well to make up our mind that there is always a next thing to be done, whether in work or play; and that the next thing, be it ever so trifling, is the right thing...because, each time we insist upon ourselves doing the next thing, we gain power in the management of that unruly filly, Inclination."

That "unruly filly" has so often ridden herd over my children (and myself), and the idea of the "next thing" has been helpful in returning peace to our home.  Often when the children have been fighting, dawdling, pouting, etc., it is because they were not doing the the "next thing" that they ought to have be doing.  The simple question, "What ought you to be doing?" (combined with enough responsibilities assigned to them), calmly spoken, was often sufficient to redirect their thoughts and actions.  And over time, we learn the lesson that, "If you do the next thing as you ought, you won't have time to do that which you ought not."

No comments:

Post a Comment